Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Facing the Fear

As I continue to overcome my bout with anxiety, I have found what is called "Cognitive Behavior Therapy" very helpful. http://psychology.about.com/od/psychotherapy/a/cbt.htm
 I call it "Facing the Fear".
The way that I have used this particular therapy is to allow myself to "stay in the moment", feeling the symptoms of anxiety. I tell myself that I've experienced this before and nothing earth-shattering happened. I deliberately will myself to face the anxiety instead of running from it. Gradually, the symptoms decrease and I begin to relax. Since applying CBT to my life, amazingly, each time I begin to experience an anxiety-inducing situation, the degree of symptoms lessen and relief comes more quickly.
I feel more confident and I've been able to allow myself into situations that I've been avoiding for the past year. It seems so simple, but it's not. It takes time and dedication. My goal is to be as mentally and physically healthy as is possible. I believe that CBT has sped up this process for me. I encourage you to try it for yourself. I promise you'll be amazed!
Until next time...Enjoy life!

2 comments:

  1. I did this just the other night. I just didn't know there was a name. :-)
    I have enjoyed your story and have been able to relate in some instances. Thanks for being so open!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this some myself. Sometimes I think I'm so fearful now, then I look back at where I was! I'm thankful for the ways God has been helping me overcome fears.

    ReplyDelete